Medical Expenses of Deceased Lover

My lover recently died of complications related to AIDS, he had no insurance and I have no means to pay for his enormous medical bills he left behind. What can I do?

Response from Mr. Berg

I am not an attorney, but it is my understanding that you are under no legal obigation for the medical debt he left behind. I would contact the medical providers sending you bills and report his death explaining the situation and supply a copy of his death certificate as proof. If you signed some contract agreeing to pay for the services,had joint accounts or there is an estate left behind, you would be wise to get legal advise.

Response from Ms. Donnelly

I agree with Steve. There are many legal groups set up to help people living with and affected by HIV with legal questions. Call your local AIDS service organization if you need legal advice on this issue.

Insurance
Treatment interruption & ADAP