The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oct 30, 2001

I am HIV+ and have been asked to obtain insurance to cover any treatment and care I may get in the US as long as it is at no cost to the US order to qualify for a visa waiver.I've had little success so far, any ideas?

Response from Mr. Berg

I take it that you have already consulted an immigration attorney and they were of no help. Unfortunately, obtaining individual coverage is not a simple or easy situation. Unless you can become covered under a employer's group plan through a spouse or domestic partner, your options are severely limited. You may need to relocate to a state that has more fexible coverage laws. Please check out the insurance sitiuation in each state at There may be a state program that provides coverage for those otherwise uninsurable. I also suggest you contact your local AIDS Service Organization. To find yours, call 1.800.232.4636.

HIV+ need private insurance for INS
Financial Preparation - More

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint