Long Term Care

Recently my employer started to offer us a "Long Term Care" policy in additon to our medical, dental, vision and LTD and STD. We have three choices and I went for the best one which costs about 25/month for up to 200/day coverage. Do you know if this insurance is worth it or a waste of money? Thank you.

Response from Mr. Berg

Insurance coverage is always a gamble. You can pay premiums for years and never use it or collect on it. However, the progression of HIV/AIDS has drastically changed due the success of the current treatments. Given that and the fact that Medicare doesn't cover Long Term Care, this coverage is starting to look better and better. Four years ago, I felt it was a waste of money. My clients got sick and quickly died. Hospice provided all the care that was needed. At that time, this coverage was really only a good deal for seniors. Of course, there are no guarantees it will be money well spent, but I feel if it is part of your employer's benefit package and the premiums don't keep food off your table, it could come in handy.

SSDI and additional disability coverage?
Private health insurance