Doctors in the Area

My live-in boyfriend has admitted to me that he was found to be HIV positive since 1983. I have been with him form almost 3 years and I am going to check myself today. Had an ectopic pregnancy a month and a half ago but was not tested for HIV, last test was in 1992 which turned out to be negative. I would like to bring him to the doctor himself, kindly advise me of specialist in my area.

Hackensack, NJ

Response from Ms. Donnelly

I read from your question that you would like to get in contact with an HIV specialist in your area. Currently there is no official HIV specialist designation, however, we do know that people who go to doctors or medical providers who treat at least more than five HIV positive people tend to do better.

Since there is no official designation, often the best way to get information about HIV doctors is through word of mouth. There are several places you can try if you don't have any friends or family who would be familiar with a good HIV doctor. Your local AIDS service organization (ASO), which should be listed in your phone book, may have advice on where to get good medical care. Most will not make a recommendation but they may have lists of doctors who treat HIV positive people. If you have difficulty finding an ASO in your area, call the Project Inform hotline at 1-800-822-7422 and ask for the Access Coordinator.

If you have easy access to the web, you can also try the American Academy of HIV Medecine's web site at www.aahivm.org for a listing of members of that organization.

SSDI/working P/T
going off disability