The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

alone, almost homeless, what to do
Aug 1, 2001

i am a woman alone with no adult family of 53. i work a minimum wage job. i barely survive financially. what to do if i find out i have h.i.v....i have no insurance or savings. do i just have to lay down and die?

Response from Mr. Berg

First, you could get information and assistance from your local AIDS Service Organization (ASO). There may be HIV treatment clinics in your area and AIDS medication assistance programs in your state. If you become disabled and unable to work, there is financial assistance from the Social Security Administration. Medicaid is a source of medical insurance accessed by many disabled with HIV. Call the National AIDS Hotline to find the nearest ASO at 1.800.232.4636.

Response from Ms. Donnelly

Steve has covered a lot of the resources that may be available to you and one of the best places to start is a local AIDS Service Organization, as Steve has said. The resources available to you vary state by state and region by region but generally, within the U.S., you are able to piece together the components you need to get HIV care. If the programs that Steve has mentioned are not able to supply treatments to you, there are also program run by pharmaceutical companies that can assist you with getting anti-HIV treatments and treatments for other conditions associated with HIV disease.

If you have trouble locating a local resource to guide you toward programs and services, call the Project Inform toll-free hotline and ask for the Access Coordinator. The number is 1-800-822-7422. He will work with you to connect with local resources and programs.

12 mos waiting period
paying for a funeral

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint