Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Extended cobra coverage
Jul 18, 2001

I am hiv +.Currently I am under cobra coverage.I read from an article that the people suffering with aids can extend their cobra coverage by 11 months.If this is correct can you please suggest me the process to follow in order to get the extension.

Response from Mr. Berg

This extension is available to all disabilities confirmed by the Social Security Administration. First, you need to apply for and be awarded Social Security Disability benefits before the end of the 18 month COBRA period. Disabilities determined by Social Security to have started more than 60 days after COBRA began are excluded from receiving this extension. Once the award notice is received, it must be submitted along with your request for the extension, to your COBRA administrator within 60 days from the notice date and before the end of the 18 month COBRA period. When aplying for Social Security benefits it is best to mention that you have COBRA as these cases are supposed to be expedited to meet the deadlines and can still take 3 to 6 months for a determination to be made.

Previous
Group vs. individual health insurance
Next
about health insurance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.