Extended cobra coverage

I am hiv +.Currently I am under cobra coverage.I read from an article that the people suffering with aids can extend their cobra coverage by 11 months.If this is correct can you please suggest me the process to follow in order to get the extension.

Response from Mr. Berg

This extension is available to all disabilities confirmed by the Social Security Administration. First, you need to apply for and be awarded Social Security Disability benefits before the end of the 18 month COBRA period. Disabilities determined by Social Security to have started more than 60 days after COBRA began are excluded from receiving this extension. Once the award notice is received, it must be submitted along with your request for the extension, to your COBRA administrator within 60 days from the notice date and before the end of the 18 month COBRA period. When aplying for Social Security benefits it is best to mention that you have COBRA as these cases are supposed to be expedited to meet the deadlines and can still take 3 to 6 months for a determination to be made.

Group vs. individual health insurance
about health insurance