The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Making A Big Move!
Jul 5, 2001

In two months I will be moving from Wisconsin to Tampa, Florida. Currently, I have GAMP for my medical issurance and do not work due to waiting on a disability claim decision. How can a HIV+ person prepare for that kind of move? What kind of resources are available to me once I get down there and even before I make the move? Thank you for your time in answering this question ahead of time.

Response from Ms. Donnelly

It is great that you are preparing for your move by ensuring that you understand your options. The best thing you can do to prepare for such a move is to schedule a meeting with a benefits counselor who specializes in HIV/AIDS. It is important to understand what will happen with your insurance because although you should be able to access insurance, assuming you meet the portability requirements, affordability of your insurance policy is not necessarily ensured.

There are other issues you probably want to find out about as well, such as do the medical services in Tampa match what you are receiving in Wisconsin? Is it easy to locate and access an HIV specialist in Tampa, etc?

Generally, the best place to find a benefits counselor is by contacting a local HIV/AIDS community based organization. If you have trouble locating a qualified benefits counselor in your area, call the Project Inform hotline at 1-800-822-7422 and ask for the Access Coordinator.

Receiving AIDS medicine in NV
Looking for a good specialist

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint