advice for non-us citizen

I am a non-US citizen currently on a business trip in LA and San Francisco. I would like to speak with a hiv specialist to discuss my condition. Please advise on how to arrangement for such an appointment.

Response from Ms. Donnelly

Unfortunately, unless you have insurance that covers such a visit, you will likely have to pay out of pocket to see a specialist. It would be wise to ask before you go how much an office visit costs and if you have specific tests you need how much they cost as well. You should explain to the doctor's office that you do not have insurance coverage and see if they have any arrangements for people without insurance. In terms of finding a specialist you feel comfortable with, there are several ways to do that. If you have friends or business associates you trust who live in either city and are also HIV positive,you might ask them who they would recommend. Local AIDS Service Organizations ( which are listed in local phone books ) sometimes offer lists of local providers who treat people living with HIV. There is a web site for the American Academy of HIV Medicine (www.aahivm.org)that lists its members and their contact information. Finally, you could call the Project Inform toll-free hotline 1-800-822-7422 and ask if they have other suggestions on how to locate an HIV specialist.

Employer Insurance Application asks if I am HIV+
how to obtain cd4 count and viral load test for foreigners