Financial planning for the HIV+ individual

Hello, I was recently diagnosed as HIV+ and am looking for a good reference on financial planning for the HIV+ individual. Of course this has changed the way i view every aspect of my life and I need guidance on how to plan accordingly regarding financial investments, insurance, etc. For instance, do I continue to contribute to a 401K plan or invest in another plan that does not penalize for early withdrawal? Can I sell my group life insurance plan through my company to a viatical settlement company if i were to need the benefits, or is that option open to only those who already have an individual policy in place before diagnosis. So many questions are popping up in my mind regarding how to most effectively plan for the (unknown) future that is further complicated by being HIV. Please direct me to a good reference for these kind of questions if one exists. And thank you for all the work you do. Please know that your work and help is greatly appreciated and that you are making a difference in many people's lives.

Thanks again! Chad

Response from Mr. Berg

Chad, unfortunately, I don't have a referral for you and financial planning is not my expertise. Have you contacted your local AIDS Service Organization for referrals? You might want to check the advertisments in your local gay publications or gay yellow pages. In terms of Viatical settlements, group policies are ok, but many companies now want you to convert you group policy to an individual one before they will buy it. Another criteria is that your health has declined to a level that medical opinion is you have 2 or less years to live.

appeal process
starting my own health insurance soon