Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Earned or Unearned Income
Jun 1, 2001

I am currently receiving SSDI, total disability. I have a healthy 2,800 spend down (out-of-pocket expense) before I receive Medicaid assistance in the state of Kansas. I also qualify for Ryan White benefits in the same state. For the past year I have volunteered for a HIV/AIDS service organization. Unfortunately we are having to close our doors. As a thank you gesture the co-founders and board members would like to give me a stipend/honoria. By law, it would be reported from the 1099 that will be sent in to the IRS. The amount is unclear, but would be approximately 1,000. It is also unclear whether this is earned, or unearned income and how it would affect my disability benefits with Social Security Disability Income, and the local state benefits. I'm sure it will increase my spend down, but while coming close every six months to my spend down, I've not met it in the past several years. Would it be best to break this amount into two payments, or keep it as one? Thank you!

Response from Mr. Berg

First off, I am not the public/govermental benefits expert, but here is my take on your situation. I'm sure you aware that in addition to your monthly spend down (share of cost deductible?), Medicaid sets specific asset limits, so it you keep it as one payment (or 2 or 3) and bank it, you could be over the limit and you would have to spend the excess or loose the medicaid coverage until you did so. In terms of your SSDI, they want to be notified of all earned income so it can be counted toward the 9 month trial return to work program. My understanding is that monthly income under $540 is not counted but is expected to be reported. During this 9 month trial period, you can keep all income earned and well as your full SSDI monthly benefit. Since this is a one time deal and you don't spread it out over more than 2 monthly payments, it shouldn't effect your SSDI.

Previous
HIV+ Healthy and want to buy insurance
Next
3 Questions with some Background Info

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.