Health Insurance Cancellation

I was hired with a company last March and was offered health insurance due to go into effect on June 1, 2000. I'm HIV positive and the GROUP rate for the employees health insurance would go up 47.

The company refused to pay and now I don't have any health insurance, actually I have never had it. They claim they just don't have the extra money. I have retained a lawyer and I have filed with the EEOC on American Disability Act. Can you give me any information concerning the laws on this issue. I'm understanding no one can be turned down for insurance under a group rate with a company.

Is this discrimination? Do I have a legal ground to stand on to sue to get insurance?

Response from Mr. Berg

I defer the legal questions to your attorney. Regarding your entitlement to your employer's group plan, I believe that's covered under the Health Insurance Portibility and Accoutibility Act of 1996. Check out HIPAA at the Department of Labor website:

www.dol.gov/dol/pwba

advice for non-us citizen
Disability review