The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

advice for non-us citizen
May 11, 2001

I am a non-US citizen currently on a business trip in LA and San Francisco. I would like to speak with a hiv specialist to discuss my condition. Please advise on how to arrangement for such an appointment.

Response from Ms. Donnelly

Unless your insurance will cover a visit to a foriegn doctor, it is likely that you will have to pay out of pocket to see a doctor who treats people living with HIV. Currently there is no official designation for an HIV specialist.

The best way to find out about good HIV doctors is usually word of mouth. Most community based organizations are wary of recommending any one doctor but will often be able to identify a list of doctors in their local areas. You might want to call AIDS Project Los Angeles at (213)201-1600 or the San Francisco AIDS Foundation at (415) 487-3000 and ask if they have a list of HIV specialists in their area. There should be other community based HIV/AIDS organizations listed in the phone directory. There is also an organization called the American Academy of HIV Medicine that lists its members by state. Their web site is

Insurance assistance for non-residents
Health Insurance Cancellation

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint