Hiv and insurance

I was recently diagnosed with an oppurtunistic infection and I suspect to be HIV+. Currently I am a student and have a campus HMO plan. I will be graduating in couple months, but I am very worried about my financial situation if I become disabled and can not work or start a new job. I need to aquire a disability insurance and health plan before I am tested for HIV. I live in Midwest and not sure which provider to choose and what questions I will need to answer about my health.Could somebody help me with this burden of illness and financial stress. Thank you

Response from Mr. Berg

Unfortunately, your options are limited if you cannot become covered under an employer's group health plan. Do you have coverage options through an association or alumni plan? Do you have access to a group health plan through a domestic partner?

If you apply for an individual health policy, you will be required to provide access to your medical records for diagnosed conditions and symptoms. They will want to know any treatment received, medication taken and physician seen during the past several years. Your O.I. diagnosis alone could be enough to deny coverage even without a HIV test. With disability and life insurance, a blood test is often part of the application screening process.

Should you become disabled without coverage, there are public disability income benefits ( Social Security Disability Insurance and/or Supplemental Security Insurance) and health coverage (medicaid) if your meet the asset criteria. There may also be HIV clinics and presscription drug programs in your state. Your local AIDS serice organization is a good resource.

Heath Insurance cancellation
Am I disabled?