HIV specialists

Please help me, I've been trying to find a specialist of HIV in Monterey, California. Could you please help me.

Response from Ms. Donnelly

There are several ways that you might be able to locate a specialist. California is looking at creating a speciality designation for HIV but it is not in place yet. So it can be a little challenging to find a specialist.

The first thing to do is check with local AIDS Service Organizations. Although many will not refer you to a particular doctor, they often have a list of doctors who treat HIV positive people. If they don't have a list, they may have support groups or other ways to share information about doctors.

You can also check with the American Academy of HIV Medicine at their web site, www.aahivm.org. They have a listing of members and contact information.

If you have insurance through a managed care organization, you can call the patient benefits department and ask if they can refer you or, if you are comfortable, ask your primary care provider the same question.

If you need further assistance locating local resources or more resources than I have mentioned, call the Project Inform Hotline at 1-800-822-7422.

Empoyer Searching For New Insurance Provider
Moving to SF - No employer coverage