Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

On my next job, can insurer refuse coverage?
Nov 7, 2001

Hi, this website is great, I have gotten plenty of good information from it..thanks! I have been diagnosed positive in March 01 and have been layed off late march 01 (coincidence!) I am now on cobra and am taking odd temp jobs since then.(bad time to find a real job) Cobra will carry on for 12 months at the rate I currently have. What is the law saying about HIV+ people who are able to work and who are just slow at getting a new job? I am worried that if I stay too long doing temp jobs that have no insurance coverage, I will be denied coverage when I finally find the full time job I am seeking. My old insurance company sent me a letter saying that I was covered for at least 6 months in a row prior to being diagnosed..How is that relevant to my future job's insurance carrier? Any information would help!

Response from Mr. Berg

Like many of the questions posted here, your sitiuation is covered under the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996. This law prohibits employers from excluding new employees from their health plan due to a pre-existing condition. If there is more than a 63 day gap from the end of your last coverage (COBRA in your case) and enrollment in your new employer's plan, then they can impose up to a 12 month pre-existing waiting period before any expenses can be paid on that pre-exisiting condition. If there is no gap, then you will be given credit for every month of coverage under your prior plan to reduce or wipe out the pre-existing waiting period on this new plan. This waiting period usually only applies to PPO plans as HMO plans often allow you access to services once the coverage is activated. Please read up on these provisions at www.hcfa.gov and www.dol.gov/dol/pbwa .

Previous
My husbands insurance was cancelled
Next
urgent please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.