Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Red Yeast Rice Safety in HIV+ People with Normal Cholesterol

Dear Nelson,

Thank you for all your enormous help as a knowledgeable long-term survivor. You are a blessing to all of us. There is an ongoing debate and a big-scale study regarding the use of statins in HIV patients, regardless of their cholesterol levels, since statins have anti-inflammatory properties and are thought to lower chronic inflammation in HIV patients. Questions: 1. Do you think it is a good idea that someone in his late 40's with normal cholesterol levels and no other cardiovascular risks (besides age and HIV status) starts taking Red yeast rice as a supplement to decrease his vascular risk and lower inflammation? I am mentioning this supplement, because he wouldn't strictly qualify for a full prescription of a standard dose statin given that his lipid profile is still normal. 2. What would you say is a safe dose of such supplement?

Reducing normal cholesterol blood levels can decrease hormone production. Cholesterol is the "mother molecule" of sex and adrenal hormones.

Red yeast rice is made from rice fermented by Monascus purpureus yeast. It contains chemicals that are similar to prescription statin medications. One of these, called monacolin K, has the same makeup as the drug lovastatin (Mevacor). Doctors prescribe statins to lower LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels and help reduce the risk of heart disease. Most red yeast supplements have anywhere from 5 to 25 mg of lovastatin per pill (usual lovastatin pharmaceutical dose is 20-40 mg).

Some red yeast rice supplements have been found to be contaminated with citrinin, a toxin that can grow from the fungus used in the process of making the supplement. This toxin can damage kidneys.

Statins can cause muscle myopathy in some people, so they are not risk-free.

In conclusion, I would not take it if I did not need it.

In health,

Nelson

Always tired. What can I do?
My Dr. Switched my Efavirenz for a Generic brand named Yoanivag