Aging With HIVAging With HIV

My best friend has been diagnosed immediately with AIDS

My closest and most dear friend was in a short relationship with someone who did not tell her he was infected. When he went to jail for abusing her is when she found out. Her lifestyle has been extremely unhealthy for the last 7 years resulting in other health issues because of her drug dependency. My question is this.. Her blood count is already at 180. She just got over having spinal meningitis, she has a history of cancer, along with hepatitis c. What are the chances of someone so unhealthy making any good progress if they become sober and do what they need to do? I have refused to abandon her through all of this because she has lost everyone and I won't let her die alone if that is the case. Any advice or information would be so appreciated. I am here to learn, and use this information to support and help her. Thank you.

I am sorry to hear about your friend. It is good she has you as a friend!

She obviously needs to get connected to a recovery program and meetings to get her sobriety back. She can also start HIV antiretrovirals now if she thinks she can take one pill a day every day without skipping.

Find out who provides treatment in your area: United States HIV/AIDS Organizations

Call the main clinic in your are to have them refer you to a drug rehab and recovery center as well as to make an appointment to start her on antiretrovirals.

Also, watch this video with her:

Starting Your Journey With HIV

Please give me an update in a few weeks! Thanks for being a good friend to someone who probably needs a lot of advocacy.

In health,

Nelson Vergel

Survivor's guilt
Relocating overseas