Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My best friend has been diagnosed immediately with AIDS
Jun 27, 2014

My closest and most dear friend was in a short relationship with someone who did not tell her he was infected. When he went to jail for abusing her is when she found out. Her lifestyle has been extremely unhealthy for the last 7 years resulting in other health issues because of her drug dependency. My question is this.. Her blood count is already at 180. She just got over having spinal meningitis, she has a history of cancer, along with hepatitis c. What are the chances of someone so unhealthy making any good progress if they become sober and do what they need to do? I have refused to abandon her through all of this because she has lost everyone and I won't let her die alone if that is the case. Any advice or information would be so appreciated. I am here to learn, and use this information to support and help her. Thank you.

Response from Mr. Vergel

I am sorry to hear about your friend. It is good she has you as a friend!

She obviously needs to get connected to a recovery program and meetings to get her sobriety back. She can also start HIV antiretrovirals now if she thinks she can take one pill a day every day without skipping.

Find out who provides treatment in your area: United States HIV/AIDS Organizations

Call the main clinic in your are to have them refer you to a drug rehab and recovery center as well as to make an appointment to start her on antiretrovirals.

Also, watch this video with her:

Starting Your Journey With HIV

Please give me an update in a few weeks! Thanks for being a good friend to someone who probably needs a lot of advocacy.

In health,

Nelson Vergel

Previous
Survivor's guilt
Next
Relocating overseas

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.