a syptomatic hiv + life expectancy
May 20, 2014
hello just wondered what a newly diagnosed hiv + SYMPTOMATIC person might live in the canadaian region with access to haart ? as i hear a person with no symptoms may live longer. also if one has symptoms is that a super strain they contracted?
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
Life expectancy for in North America for people who are engaged in care and on medications is now approaching normal.
The best data on this comes from the NA-ACCORD group who published these data, concluding that for a 20 year old man with HIV, an additional 50+ years of life is expected- essentially a normal life span. Starting HIV medications late is a predictor of gap in life expectancy.
Hope that's informative, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- HIV Risk Of Anal Sex With Condom
- Risk Of HIV Transmission From Touching Used Condom
- Does Rectal Bleeding Mean I Have Hiv?
- Sex With A Prostitute How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For AIDS
- Dry Cough After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.