The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Receiving Oral Sex
Apr 14, 2014

Last week (march 20th) I had an Oral sex with a guy that involves deep kissing (no bleeding of gum) and when he wanted to suck my dick he noticed some pre-cum coming out from my dick and he clean it with his hands and cheeks. He went for test early this morning and was discovered to be HIV+ but I did my own test in February and I was tested negative after 37days of unprotected sex(not with person I had Oral sex with).

Now my question is can I contact HIV through the above oral sex (I'm the receiving partner and knowing fully well that Saliva contains some enzymes that prevent HIV infection. Thank you for your continous enlightment.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex is extremely low. It is even reasonable to state that for the person receiving oral sex (that is on whom oral sex is being performed) the risk of acquisition of the virus is practically zero. For the person placing his or her mouth on someone else's genitals, the risk may be slightly higher but still very very low. Theoretically, obvious cuts, wounds, sores, or infections in the mouth could raise this risk. But relatively speaking this is still considered to be a low-risk sexual activity as the mouth is not a hospitable place for the HIV virus. Please note that other sexually transmitted infections are readily spread via oral contact and you may need to be checked for these.

In short, your risk is incredibly low to no risk.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Persistent swollen lymph node
Cancer and other problems as we age

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint