Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Kidney health

How do I keep my kidneys and liver healthy. Currently on Truvada, Reyataz, & Norvir and anti depresant Welbutrin

Here are some ways to keep your kidneys healthy:

1- Drink plenty of water. If you get thirsty that means you have already become dehydrated.

2- Keep your blood pressure in the normal range. If you are overweight, losing weight and exercise will decrease your blood pressure. If you have to, get treatment to reduce it.

3- Do not take any supplements without talking to your doctor since some of them may load up the kidneys and reduce creatinine clearance.

Your regimen is the one with the highest incidence of decreases in creatinine clearance. Your doctor checks your creatinine every time you see him but make sure your creatinine clearance is over 65 by using this formula: Creatine Clearance Formula-eGFR

To protect your liver try not to drink alcohol excessively, get tested and vaccinated for Hepatitis A, B and C (vaccines are only available for A and B and treatment for C), do not take supplements without talking to your doctor (or asking me), get your liver enzymes checked at least twice a year, and avoid things that can make you get fat build up in the liver: Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

I hope this information helps me. Please let me know if I need to expand on anything I have mentioned here.

In health,

Nelson

Painful hands and feet
ITP while on HAART