Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Just diagnosed, Dr said I don't need meds yet

I was diagnosed las August 5 and consulted the specialist on mid september. My CD4 counted 750 and viral load 260. I was told that any treatment with meds was needed and I just needed to be checked every four months to see everything keeps ok. Told me to live a regular Life and calm down my anxiety, that my HIV positive condition was at its very primary phase and no meds were necesary. Just to keep on living a healthy lifestyle, eat well and do exercise. Is that a correct diagnosis?

You are probably not in the United States, are you?

In the United States it is recommended to start treatment no matter what the CD4 cells are. This is sometimes a luxury not possible in other countries with less access to care or in public systems that only provide HIV medications to people with CD4 cells under 500 or 350 cells/ml.

Your numbers are great, by the way. You have a low viral load and hopefully can be an elite controller, but only time can answer that question. Many people who are diagnosed early and who take care of themselves are able to keep CD4 cells above 500 cells/ml even without treatment for a few years as long as their viral load is not high (note: not a single study has proven what this viral load value is in untreated people)

These are some basic suggestions on nutrition and exercise that can help you stay healthy as you monitor your CD4 cells and viral load every few months as recommended by your healthcare system:

Healthy Eating Tips

Exercise: One of the best therapies

Please check in with me once in a while to let me know how you are doing. I wish the decision to go on treatment was left not only to the doctor/health care system but mostly to patients no matter where they live. Hopefully we will arrive to that time sooner than later.

In health,

Nelson Vergel

Hope
medicine