Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Is it possible to remain healthy without being sick

Hi Nelson. So here's my story. Got diagnosed late December 2012 early January 2013. (Completely decanted naturally) considering the fact that I was always safe and never had unprotected sex. Nonetheless. Began treatment (complera)in February. June I was undetectable. (Yay). My question is, is it true that you can remain completely healthy (without problems- get cancer or etc) if you take your med, eat fairly well, exercise and workout ? I'm just scared that I will have a heart attack or have a seizure, or just die from being on complera a long period of time. Can you tell I'm nervous? my ID Doc said that I'm extremely lucky that we found it fairly soon and it only took a short amount of time to get to undetectable. Would you agree with that? I'm just scared something will go wrong. Also what is your opinion on these so called functional cures? Do you think that they are true. And is it true this Timothy brown guy really is cured and he has no more of the virus in him? Sorry if I'm being long winded. Just have a lot on the brain. If the biggest challenge is getting the virus out of the reservoirs. If they come up with a solution to do that first step. Once they do. Can't they find something to deplete the virus all together? Because pep takes care of it if you begin within 72 hours. Because it hasn't had the time to get into the reservoirs? Correct. Well if they get the virus up out of the reservoirs? Shouldn't a vaccine along with the med eradicate it for good? I'm no scientist. But just inquiring. Thanks for all your help man.

Your biggest challenge right now is dealing with your anxiety. Most people go through that phase at first and then start calming down after they see their viral load going down with treatment. Some remain nervous about future health issues.

I think whoever started HIV treatments after 2006 has a lot fewer chances of having the side effects and long term issues experienced by those of us with 1987-2006 treatment exposure. This is due to the fact that newer HIV drugs were approved that did not affect our mitochondria and that caused huge metabolic issues.

This is my opinion (not proven by long term studies yet). I think people who remain with CD4 cells over 300-400 cells/ml and have undetectable viral loads will fair extremely well when it comes to aging healthy (assuming they are taking care of themselves).

My best anti anxiety therapy is exercise (and other bodily related pleasures). Also, finding a support group and/or therapist has worked well for many people.

Here are a few tips for exercise and nutrition to stay healthy and in shape:

Nelson's Exercise Tips

Mark King makes fun of Nelson's obsession with fiber

By the way, Timothy Brown is really cured. Researchers have poked him regularly to take samples of his blood and tissues for over 5 years and have found no traces of the virus. But he almost died 3 times going through his ordeal. There is a lot of research right now (over 4 conferences cover HIV cure research every year). It will take a few years before we find a cure that is not dangerous or super expensive that will flush our reservoirs of hidden virus and kill all viruses that pop up. I am following a few specific and exciting areas closely right now: What's Exciting in HIV Cure Research?

Please let us know at TheBody.com if you have any questions about your health. HIV sometimes is a great wake up call for many of us to be disciplined about our health.

All the best,

Nelson Vergel

Nelson's New Site for Men

long term survivor issues
Hope