Aging With HIVAging With HIV

facial lipoatrophy

Hello, I have been hiv positive for over 10 years my current regimen is edurant, isentress and abacavir vl is undect and t cell 575. Since i have been on abacavir for over 7 years I was recently diagnosed with stage 1 facial lipoatrophy. Do you think it is because of abacavir? I asked Dr. he said "it wasn't likely that its causes lipoatrophy".. I have read conflicting studies on abacavir. What do you suggest? Wishing you good health.. Thanks inadvance

All of the HIV medications in your regimen have low possibility of causing lipoatrophy. However, in some studies not using AZT or Zerit (the two main culprits of lipoatrophy), 14 percent of patients had some degree of lipoatrophy. So, it can happen but it is not common.

Have you lost a lot of weight in the past? Aging and weight loss can also cause mild lipoatrophy in some people. Gaining that weight back can help fill faces.

In the US we have Sculptra and Radiesse approved for HIV related facial lipoatrophy. The Patient Assistance Programs are becoming more restricted. Some insurance companies pay for the application of these products but I am hearing that the reimbursement rate is not that great.

Facial Lipoatrophy Products- Patient Assistance Programs

FacialWasting.org

I hope this helps!

Nelson

hearing loss
General HIV health concern