|hiv subtypes & arv therapy
Jul 5, 2013
is there any difference in arv effectiveness for different HIV subtypes? do arvs only work with subtype b??
and do some subtypes have a generally shorter life expectancy?
| Response from Dr. Wohl
The main differentiation between types of HIV that is relevant to treatment is HIV-1 vs HIV-2. Not all medications used to treat HIV-1 are effective for HIV-2. HIV-2 does have a slower natural progression than HIV-1.
Among HIV-1 clades (subtypes) there are no major differences in response that would necessitate different treatment recommendations by clade.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Tingling In Feet An Early Sign Of HIV?
- How Likely Is It To Get AIDS From Sex With A Prostitute?
- Black Spots After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Headache After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Herpes After Eating Sperm Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.