Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Girlfriend with HIV is angry all the time

My girlfriend is 40 years old and was recently infected with HIV. Her viral count has started to go down now after going on medications. However, I have found that she is getting annoyed, grumpy and getting angry with me all the time for any slight reason. Is this an effect of the HIV medication she is taking or it normal for a 40 year old woman? I am not living with her and I do not have any sex with her. I would like to have sex but she won't allow me. We have behaved like friends for the past 16 years. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Anger, along with all sorts of mood issues, occurs for a variety of complex reasons. You don't mention what medications she is taking, but angry behavior has been reported for a small number of people receiving Atripla. HIV and all its stresses can wear down emotional resilience. Support in the form of a group or someone with whom she can talk things over will be of enormous help.

Gently give her feedback on how her behavior is making you feel and offer to support her. She is probably just as uncomfortable being grumpy and angry as you are. Encourage her to speak with her physician about the issue as well.

Good luck,

David

should I be saving for retirement?
Increase Leg strength