Aging With HIVAging With HIV

What has happened with Koronis KP-1461 ?

Dear Nelson, i was studying the idea and mechanism of action of KP-1461:

http://www.aids.org/2007/10/new-kind-of-antiretroviral/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Unfortunately, i could not find any updates. What has happened to this promising treatment idea ? Did any leading ART-drug manufacturer get cold feet, because a new competing drug or maybe a cure could harm their profits and buy companies like Koronis in order to stop their research success ?

Best wishes !

Koronis seemed to have run out of funds to continue studies since they did not find a larger company to become a commercial partner. Also, some researchers in the field were concerned about the drug's mechanism of action. To be honest, I wish I had seen at least some phase 2 human data on patients with multidrug HIV resistance but never got a chance to do so. Only that would have proven the company right or wrong about the utility of their new mode of action.

We have very few options in the pipeline that offer a new mode of action or HIV life cycle target. The fate of small companies with potentially promising drugs is in the hands of other large pharmaceutical companies that buy the rights of their drug. And the most concerning for me is that such small companies may have drugs that can help patients living with multidrug resistance, an often ignored and dismissed group of patients in the current era of successful antiretroviral treatment.

Companies like Taimed (CD4 receptor antagonist), Avexa (nucleoside analog), Myriad (maturation inhibitor) and others are struggling or already abandoned their drugs due to limited funding in a market that is now looking for once a month dosing (read: Long acting regimen )

I am very optimistic with GSK's dolutegravir, BMS's attachment inhibitor, GSK's long acting injectable regimen, and Taimed's ibalizumab (CD4 receptor antagonist). I keep a close eye on these drugs in my work as a salvage activist.

Nelson

When I retire will I be able to get supplemental insurance to medicare?
Testosterone level