Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What has happened with Koronis KP-1461 ?
Nov 11, 2012

Dear Nelson, i was studying the idea and mechanism of action of KP-1461:

http://www.aids.org/2007/10/new-kind-of-antiretroviral/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Unfortunately, i could not find any updates. What has happened to this promising treatment idea ? Did any leading ART-drug manufacturer get cold feet, because a new competing drug or maybe a cure could harm their profits and buy companies like Koronis in order to stop their research success ?

Best wishes !

Response from Mr. Vergel

Koronis seemed to have run out of funds to continue studies since they did not find a larger company to become a commercial partner. Also, some researchers in the field were concerned about the drug's mechanism of action. To be honest, I wish I had seen at least some phase 2 human data on patients with multidrug HIV resistance but never got a chance to do so. Only that would have proven the company right or wrong about the utility of their new mode of action.

We have very few options in the pipeline that offer a new mode of action or HIV life cycle target. The fate of small companies with potentially promising drugs is in the hands of other large pharmaceutical companies that buy the rights of their drug. And the most concerning for me is that such small companies may have drugs that can help patients living with multidrug resistance, an often ignored and dismissed group of patients in the current era of successful antiretroviral treatment.

Companies like Taimed (CD4 receptor antagonist), Avexa (nucleoside analog), Myriad (maturation inhibitor) and others are struggling or already abandoned their drugs due to limited funding in a market that is now looking for once a month dosing (read: Long acting regimen )

I am very optimistic with GSK's dolutegravir, BMS's attachment inhibitor, GSK's long acting injectable regimen, and Taimed's ibalizumab (CD4 receptor antagonist). I keep a close eye on these drugs in my work as a salvage activist.

Nelson

Previous
When I retire will I be able to get supplemental insurance to medicare?
Next
Testosterone level

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.