Aging With HIVAging With HIV

I'm not sure what my next step is....

Hi Nelson:

My libido, erections, and energy have been on the decline for some time now. I've noticed a decline in all three over the past few years now. I'm 34, and have been HIV positive for over 10 years. When I was diagnosed, I had 123 T-cells, and was diagnosed with AIDS. My T-cell count is in the mid-700's, and my viral load is undetectable.

I try to stay as healthy as possible these days. I work out four to five days a week. I do Spinning classes, and lift weights with a trainer.

When I mentioned these symptoms to my previous doctor, and asked about low testosterone levels, he tested my levels and said that my levels were not low. He gave me some Viagra and sent me on my way. I've since moved onto another doctor. He has checked my thyroid and testosterone levels. He says that I am borderline on one of my thyroid levels, but that he doesn't think my testosterone levels are low. Mt last three levels were:

TOTAL: 403/501/632 FREE: 61/110/85

I understand that these levels are in the "normal" range but I have also heard that even though your testosterone levels can be in the "normal" range, they may not be normal for you.

My new doctor has again given me Viagra, but does not seem concerned about the fact that I have no interest in sex. Even when I have the urge to masturbate it's a half-hearted attempt with a half-hard penis.

What are your thoughts? Do I have the right to demand that we give testosterone therapy a try? I'd be much obliged for any thoughts you have on the matter.

Thanks

Someone had a similar question a while ago. There are many possible reasons and causes of why some of us may have low sex drive and erections that have nothing to do with testosterone:

Testosterone and sex drive

Your total testosterone is around midrange, which is not bad at all. Also, it seems that you are very healthy and have stamina to exercise. Your free testosterone is also above the usual 2 percent of total.

Would supplementing testosterone probably increase your sex drive? May be. Would something like human chorionic gonadotropin accomplish the same goal? Without having an urologist knowledgeable about men's sexual health do a complete work up, it is difficult to tell. If this is really bothering you, talk to your doctor about a referral to a good urologist.

Nelson

Can episodes of shingles repeat for HIV + guys?
Looking Back.