Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When should I take medication.
Sep 23, 2012

I was recently diagnosed with HIV. My T-Cell count is 575, and my Viral Load is 450. I have Doctor who works at a world-renowned clinic. He said at this point I dont need to start Meds. At what point would I begin to take, or should I be on them now?

Response from Mr. Vergel

If you have access to treatment and can be committed to taking your medications on time every day, I would suggest that you consider starting medications since your CD4 level is very close to the one used by the HIV DHHS guidelines to recommend treatment (500 CD4 cells per ml). Small pilot studies that have provided treatment to people with moderate CD4 cells and very low HIV viral load like yours have shown that many of those patients faired very well with treatment. A proportion of them went on to stopping treatment months later and had viral loads that remained undetectable for a long time. Also, some preliminary data show that those patients who start at numbers like yours may also preserve good immune function and potentially stop HIV from populating different reservoirs in the body.

At the end, it is a personal decision that has to be made with your doctor taking into consideration your level of commitment and self-care.

Nelson

Previous
Kidney stones
Next
Egrifta

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.