Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Kidney stones

I have a history of kidney stones. I have been on Atripla for almost two years. Are kidney stones a side effect of Atripla. My stones have been getting worst since I have been on the medicine. I have had six litho's in the past year an a half and I currently have four stones in my kidneys. I was just wondering if stones are a side effect from the medication?

Kidney stones have been shown to be a side effect of certain HIV meds - most notoriously Crixivan (indinavir) and Reyataz (atazanavir), which can crystalize in the urine. However, the medications in Atripla are not linked to kidney stones and do not fom such crystals.

When patients on Crixivan or Reyataz pass a kidney stone it can be analyzed for content. The drugs can actually be seen in the stone. In your case, I suspect you will have a more typical stone composition.

Kidney stones can be du to a number of different factors. Adequate hydration can help some. Speak to your doctor and consider consultation from a urologist if you stones continue.

Do I have HIV?
When should I take medication.