Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Newly diagnsed with low CD4 - what should I watch out for?

Hello -- my partner was recently diagnosed with HIV and just found out that his CD4 count is only 58. The earliest we could get him an appointment with a specialist is at the end of this month, and he's concerned about his health between now and then. Are there any special precautions he should be taking between now and the time he starts on meds to make sure he stays healthy? We just don't want him compounding the HIV with any other infections. Thanks for your help!

At that CD4 cell level, PCP pneumonia can happen. But it is impossible to predict. Bactrim can prevent it.

Just watch out for symptoms: PCP Pneumonia

Also, after he starts HIV medications, he should watch out for immune reconstitution syndrome: IRIS: Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome

Luckily, most people do well and do not have IRIS.

Watch this video with him:

Starting Your Journey With HIV

It is good that he has you and that you are so concerned for him. Let me know how it goes.

Nelson

Will genital warts eventually go away without treatment while HIV+ or stay?
Mrs