Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ for 15 years
Aug 24, 2012

I was diagnosed HIV+ in 1997. I went on meds (Crixivan & Combivir) for 5 years (until 2001) and then stopped taking all meds due to the side effects making me sick as a dog. I never went back on the meds and have been living a fairly normal and quiet life, i.e.: my current physician for the past 8 years doesn't know I'm HIV+ (closet HIV+?), I eat healthy, I have no bad habits (smoking or drinking), exercise & am completely celibate. I go for regular checkups and blood work once a year and everything is in the normal range according to my doc. It's been 15 years since I was diagnosed HIV+ and I'm heathly as a horse today in 2012. Is this possible?

Response from Mr. Vergel

I am confused.

If your current doctor does not know you are HIV+, how do you know your CD4 cells and viral load to know that you are "healthy as a horse"? Many people can feel healthy and still have immune deterioration.

But there are a few people that can remain healthy and with very low HIV viral loads months after stopping HIV medications. They are a very small minority.

Nelson

Previous
Serologia RPR, REACTIVO 1:4
Next
HIV and Respiratory Infections

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.