Aging With HIVAging With HIV

HIV+ for 15 years

I was diagnosed HIV+ in 1997. I went on meds (Crixivan & Combivir) for 5 years (until 2001) and then stopped taking all meds due to the side effects making me sick as a dog. I never went back on the meds and have been living a fairly normal and quiet life, i.e.: my current physician for the past 8 years doesn't know I'm HIV+ (closet HIV+?), I eat healthy, I have no bad habits (smoking or drinking), exercise & am completely celibate. I go for regular checkups and blood work once a year and everything is in the normal range according to my doc. It's been 15 years since I was diagnosed HIV+ and I'm heathly as a horse today in 2012. Is this possible?

I am confused.

If your current doctor does not know you are HIV+, how do you know your CD4 cells and viral load to know that you are "healthy as a horse"? Many people can feel healthy and still have immune deterioration.

But there are a few people that can remain healthy and with very low HIV viral loads months after stopping HIV medications. They are a very small minority.

Nelson

Serologia RPR, REACTIVO 1:4
HIV and Respiratory Infections