Aging With HIVAging With HIV

I was just diagnozed HIV, can i keep my dog?

I was just diagnozed HIV. As I was infected couple of months ago, I don't need to take medication now. I have a dog. Can I still interact with him? Or there should be some restrictions?

Thank you!

You bet you can! You need your dog more than ever. Pets can really make a difference in our lives while we grieve loses. There is no health risk to keeping a well trained and clean pet.

People with low CD4 cells should not be exposed to cat feces since there is a risk for Toxoplasmosis infection by doing so. But your CD4 cells are seemingly high and you have a dog.

I don't know what I would have done without my dog while I went through pretty bad health related crisis in the past. He is a cuddler and a sweet dog that just wants to please me. True love!

You may want to read the articles listed in this great page about pets and people living with HIV: Pets and HIV

Also, don't forget to watch this video I made for people like you who are recently diagnosed:

Starting your journey

Nelson

Newly diagnosed, am I panicking (hypocondriac)
I think telling my mother about my HIV status will kill her