Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I started treatment within weeks. Will my body ever stop producing the antibody?
Jul 3, 2012

I started treatment 25 days from the day of initial infection, and a week after initially visiting the doctor with a high fever, rash and "cold sore" on my face. My CD4 at the time was 156 and my viral load was more than 500,000. After being on ART for exactly 8 months, my CD4 rapdily shot up (within 45 days) and is currently 1,224 and my viral load is undetectable.

Is there a chance that because I started early, I will see high numbers for a long time? Also, is there a chance that I maintain undetectable levels for a long time and high CD4 counts, that one day my body may actually STOP producing the antibodies for HIV?

Response from Mr. Vergel

Congrats on you great response to treatment.

Yes, there is a good possibility that your immune system will stay that strong for a long time and that you remain without detectable viral load for the long term if you adhere to your regimen.

We do not stop producing antibodies for HIV since HIV is still present in our bodies. Even Timothy Brown, the person who got cured of HIV, had his HIV antibodies decrease with time after his cure, but he still has small amounts of antibodies after 5 years of his procedure.

Nelson

Previous
CD 4 COUNT DRASTICAL DOWN(RECOVERED)
Next
Having fun durring summer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.