Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Will my pet endanger my HIV+ partner?

Thinking I was being a good partner (I am negative while he is pos) I got a puppy to make my home a little happier when he stays with me every weekend. It occurred to me later that this might pose a risk to him. If I am the one to clean up any accidents, and if the puppy's nails are clipped, should it be safe for them to interact? We live in Taiwan and, being tropical, there are a lot more fleas and ticks about as well.

The puppy: 2.5 months old, mixed breed, son of a stray who was rescued with her three pups (one mine) by a family that takes in pets and finds them homes. The mother (a Lab) was very healthy and strong, but I know nothing about the father. My pup has had one vet check up, who said he is very healthy. He is starting his round of shots/vaccines next week. He is also incredibly cute, laid-back, and loving.

My partner: He has been on medication for four years now after fighting off an opportunistic infection while his CD4 was down to 44. He is now healthy, works out all the time, eats obnoxiously healthy, and is very consistent with his meds. Now, his CD4 is up to 280 (though his % is still less than 20) and has had an undetectable viral load since the meds started. He also is a carrier for Hep B (which is common for the Taiwanese. His dad and brother laso are). And, like the pooch, he is incredibly cute, laid-back, and loving.

To be honest, though my concern for my partner of 5 years is the top priority, I just really, really, really want to raise this dog. Can I do that and still keep my partner safe?

Thank you so much for your reply!

Enjoy your puppy. You should not be concerned at all.

We had lots of concerns back in the dark days when we did not have effective HIV treatments about cats and toxoplasmosis that could be present in their feces.

Nelson

Shingles vaccine recommendation?
Memory loss - due to HIV or coma meds?