Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Should I be worred that I am not worried

I was diagnosed positive in 1991 but did not get on to treatment until 2010 (atripla) only after I suffered a mild bout of little blisters on my tongue. I was shocked to discover that I had a CD4 count of 128 as I had never suffered any OIs. Apart from suffering very mild insomnia for about 3 days, I have never felt better in my life. I now have a CD4 count of 498 and Viral load of 69. I rarely ever feel "i am HIV positive" and in fact forget that I am infected. I want to go mountain climbing (Kilimanjaro) at the end of the year and want to know if the if the high altitude will affect the efficacy of the meds. I know that I may suffer nausea, vomitting and perhaps nose bleed as a result of the thin air and high altitutude but given that I feel as strong as horse I dont think the five day climb will affect me. My doctor who is very cautious thinks I take my status and health very casually and I should be more careful. I am now worried that perhaps I am being calvalier and should be worried about the future. Should I be worried about future side effects or harming my health with extreme sports?

Don't feel so alone. For many people living with HIV, the virus is not even a daily concern. They lead their lives like they would if they were HIV negative. Good for them!

But for some, this is not always the case. Side effects, aging related issues, low income/bad healthcare, lack of support, and other factors remind them of HIV daily.

Go climb mountains! HIV should not stop you.

Nelson

saggy tits - what the hell?
androgel o nebido