Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

prognosis of hiv diagnosis at age 61
Apr 11, 2012

I was diagnosed HIV positive at age 61 with CD4 cell count of 60 and viral load of 365,000. Had thrush through my gastrointestinal track, a Kaposi sarcoma lesion. After being on Atripla for 1 1/2 years, my CD4 count fluctuates from around 170-190. Viral load down to 400. I realize there are no definitive answers, but roughly how long can one expect to live at this older age? Where can one find more information on HIV in the elderly?

Response from Mr. Vergel

There are not longevity data in those who start antiretrovirals at an older age. We know that older patients who start HIV medications have poorer immunological response than younger patients even though they may have better adherence.

I assume that you started at a very low nadir CD4 count (lowest CD4 level) since your CD4 cells after 1.5 years are under 200 cells/ml.

I would talk to your doctor about a regimen switch that could potentially bring your viral load to under 20 copies/ml and your CD4 cells a bit higher.

I am speculating that if you do not have any high cardiovascular risks ( you have good lipids, blood pressure, family history, body weight, do not smoke and exercise)you should live a long life well into your 80's or 90's.

I would say that there is no organization that has worked more on issues surrounding aging HIV patients that ACRIA in New York. Here is one of their publications (You can find more on their web site):

HIV and Older Patients- From ACRIA

Nelson

Previous
Seeking a buddy
Next
about hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.