Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Protein in urine

My question concerns a recent detection of protein in my urine. I am hiv+ and have been on the same meds for about 6 years. Is this common and is there anything in particular that might help correct this problem before there is a REAL problem. thanks for your help

Proteinuria means the presence of an excess of serum proteins in the urine. Proteinuria may be a sign of renal (kidney) damage. Since serum proteins are readily reabsorbed from urine, the presence of excess protein indicates either an insufficiency of absorption or impaired filtration. Usually, there are no symptoms. Urine looks frothy and foamy, though.

Several studies have shown a relatively high prevalence (20%) of proteinuria in the HIV-seropositive population.

This study also confirmed the correlation between decreasing CD4 count and the presence of proteinuria. Frequency of proteinuria among HIV-infected patients

Untreated HIV infection can cause this problem and HIV medications may improve it in some cases. I have seen a lot of proteinuria in patients using an old combination of Viread plus DDI, but that combo is no longer recommended (although I am surprised to see patients still on it). High blood pressure and diabetes are also main contributors to proteinuria, and treating those two conditions improve this problem.

Talk to your doctor!

For more on proteinuria and its management : Proteinuria Treatment & Management

Nelson

I have had HIV since 1997
Long term use of Egrifta