Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Arthritis and HIV

I found out I was pos 12/11/06, 13 days before my 39th birthday.

I have responded very well to HAART (Atripla).

I am on a very aggressive diet of low saturated-fats (<5g a day) that has also brought my lipids panel to *better* than normal levels!

Every one of my lab panels are now back into "normal" ranges.

The only problem that I'm having is with arthritis like symptoms in my hands. I'm a computer programmer, so needless to say my hands are the key to my livelihood.

This has only started in the last six months. It just seems to me to be a bit too "early" for arthritis. Arthritis of the hands also does not run in my family.

I've not read anything around a possible relationship between HIV and/or HAART, and arthritis.

Am I missing something? It is progressing to pain and loss of coordination (of my hands only).

Are you aware of any HIV/HAART causes of accelerated arthritis?

Should I bring this up with my HIV specialist or with my general practitioner?

THANKS!

There have been reports that several types of arthritis (including inflammatory/post infectious forms) may be more common in HIV+ persons. Since osteoarthritis is common in the general population and increases with aging if can be tough to determine how a case of arthritis is linked to HIV infection. Also, overuse syndromes (such as finger/wrist pain in computer users) are also very common and can overlap with arthritis. It is worth discussing with your HIV provider-I often refer to a rheumatologist(joint specialist) to provide insight on possible diagnosis and treatment for joint pain complaints. KH

HIV & Hair Loss
Tired