Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sex drive
Mar 2, 2012

I am a 54 yr old male in a good relationship, I'm hiv pos, he is neg. My t-cell count is anywhere from 575-650 and undetectable vl. Where is my sex drive? I used to love sex, but now i have little interest, could it be my meds? (Atripla) I am in good shape, work-out including cardio 3x a week. Is there something i can do to get my MoJo back?

Response from Mr. Vergel

You may want to get your testosterone blood level measured and follow the suggestions in this past answer: How To Increase Sex Drive

Estradiol can also be elevated in HIV+ men with sexual dysfunction, so I would suggest you have your doctor test it via an ultrasensitive test. Antiretroviral therapy is associated with sexual dysfunction and with increased serum oestradiol levels in men

If your estradiol is high, please let me know by sending me an email here.

Also, some medications have a strong and negative effect on sex drive. As we age, more and more of us have to take blood pressure medications, antidepressants, statins, and other medications that have been documented in studies with lowering sexual function in men and women.

Medications that could cause decreased sex drive or erectile dysfunction:

Medications can cause erectile dysfunction in some men. A great review of all studies of drugs that affect sexual function in men was provided by Dr. Walter K.H. Krause in his book "Drugs Compromising Male Sexual Health". He was able to identify evidence from different studies (many uncontrolled and small) about the common classes of prescription medications that can cause erectile dysfunction. It is not known if testosterone replacement can counteract the effects of these medication classes. Among the medications are:

Antidepressants: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), tricyclic antidepressants, monoamine oxidase inhibitors

Blood pressure medications (antihypertensives): Alpha andregenergic antagonists, beta-blockers, diuretics, guanethidine, methyldopa

Narcotics and opiates

Barbiturates and benzodiazepines

Hormone related products: Anabolic steroids, antiandrogens used in prostate cancer, estrogens, medroxyprogesterone, 5-alpha- reductase inhibitors (Proscar, Propecia)

Anti-acids: Histamine 2 receptor antagonists (Tagamet), proton pump inhibitors (Prilosec)

Cholesterol lowering agents: Bile acid sequestrants, fenofibrates (Tricor, etc), statins (Lipitor, etc)

I hope this helps!

Nelson Vergel Testosterone Wisdom Web Site

Previous
Negative HRA but positive anal pap smear
Next
HIV & Hair Loss

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.