Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Being in love with someone HIV postived

I have been involved with my HIV friend for almost a year one. I love my friend dearly and aim his biggest supporter. We have never had unprotected sex but he always didn't tell me he wasHIV postived even through we was having sex I found out by mistake out. I choose to stand by him. By us have protected sex I have never been tested in a year what or my chance's of getting HIV and how often should be tested. I love him but i scared sometimes and wonder if we have a Future together .thank you for all your feed back and advice.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

You should definitely be tested on a regular basis. I would suggest that to anyone. Every three to six months would be good idea. Using condoms for penetrative sex is the best way to protect yourself from HIV. It might be helpful to discuss the use of PEP with either your friends or your doctor. PEP is a 30 day supply of HIV medication. Started within 24 hours (72 at the latest) of exposure to the virus, PEP can dramatically reduce the chances of transmission. This can be helpful in situations that would be considered high risk, such as if the condom were to break and he were to ejaculate inside of you.

Being with someone who is HIV positive is very possible. It takes a lot of communication on both your parts. It is important to talk about your fears and to discuss safer sex practices. With any sexual partner, you want to make sure that you are both on the same page.

I would suggest checking out the forum on Mixed-Status Couples. There you'll find tons of questions from people in your same situation. Good luck.

In health,

Richard

No ARV until now
Negative HRA but positive anal pap smear