Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Being in love with someone HIV postived
Mar 1, 2012

I have been involved with my HIV friend for almost a year one. I love my friend dearly and aim his biggest supporter. We have never had unprotected sex but he always didn't tell me he wasHIV postived even through we was having sex I found out by mistake out. I choose to stand by him. By us have protected sex I have never been tested in a year what or my chance's of getting HIV and how often should be tested. I love him but i scared sometimes and wonder if we have a Future together .thank you for all your feed back and advice.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

You should definitely be tested on a regular basis. I would suggest that to anyone. Every three to six months would be good idea. Using condoms for penetrative sex is the best way to protect yourself from HIV. It might be helpful to discuss the use of PEP with either your friends or your doctor. PEP is a 30 day supply of HIV medication. Started within 24 hours (72 at the latest) of exposure to the virus, PEP can dramatically reduce the chances of transmission. This can be helpful in situations that would be considered high risk, such as if the condom were to break and he were to ejaculate inside of you.

Being with someone who is HIV positive is very possible. It takes a lot of communication on both your parts. It is important to talk about your fears and to discuss safer sex practices. With any sexual partner, you want to make sure that you are both on the same page.

I would suggest checking out the forum on Mixed-Status Couples. There you'll find tons of questions from people in your same situation. Good luck.

In health,

Richard

Previous
No ARV until now
Next
Negative HRA but positive anal pap smear

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.