Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Testosterone, Wasting and Libido

I am a "young" 72 year old male, and began meds 20 years ago. My t-cell count is 620, and viral activity undetectable. I was treated for prostate cancer with radioactive pellets 3 yrs ago and cured. Now I am experiencing rapid body wasting and libido loss. My oncologist suggests raising my testosterone level, but my primary care physician says absolutely not. What are my options?

You may want to read my latest post on my testosterone blog and discuss it with your urologist and your primary care physician. Testosterone Replacement in Men Treated for Prostate Cancer

There are benefits but there are also some risks. There have been some studies looking at testosterone replacement in people like you, but it is very difficult to assess if the recurrence of cancer in the few men that used testosterone after different prostate cancer interventions was due to remaining cancer cells after cancer treatment that may have been fueled by testosterone later on. But the majority of men were still cancer free after starting testosterone replacement. It is a risk that you should carefully consider after detailed discussions of these studies.

I hope this helps.

Nelson

Hiv supplements
HIV at 50