Aging With HIVAging With HIV

You seem less optimistic about the time needed for a cure

I was reading your last response about a functional cure in which you claimed that it would most likely take more than 10 years to develop a cure. Reading your previous responses on the issue you seemed much more optimistic. Here's an example:

I have been an activist since 1988 and I can tell you that for the first time in a long , long time, the word CURE is showing up in most scientific meetings and research discussions. The pipeline for oral HIV antiretrovirals is drying up and instead more funding is going to functional cure and reservoir "flushing" research. I am very optimistic that we will see something that will change the paradigm in HIV in the next 5-10 years!

You may want to read this report from AMFAR:

CURE research

and this pipeline report (start at page 44):

TAG 2010 pipeline report

Don't despair. There is a lot going on right now that most patients ignore in the research world!

Nelson

What happened?

Thanks.

I am very optimistic about the potential for a cure in the next 10 years. But we are just in early stages of testing and research. In a meeting organized by activists in Baltimore a year ago, several action items were listed that need to be done before getting to a cure. You can read them in this report: HIV CURE-RELATED CLINICAL RESEARCH WORKSHOP

There was a recent meeting in December that gathered researchers from all over the world in the Virgin Islands. You can read a summary of that meeting here:

Fifth International Workshop on HIV Persistence During Therapy

I am very excited that once again we are about to meet with researchers around the world on March 4 in Seattle to review where we are with cure research. I will write a summary report about that meeting soon after we have it. I certainly hope we hear a lot of good news!!

For more cure related info, go to:

Program for Wellness Restoration- Nelson's non profit org

Nelson

Inclusion Body myositis & Pravistatin Use
interaction between hiv medication and viagra