Aging With HIVAging With HIV

No Drugs for 7 years

I am 46 years old. tested positive 7 years go. Not on any drugs. Iast CD$ was 450. I have however been losing body mass. My wieght remains same 90Kg but I look half my previous size. I've also been feeling generally unwell lately. Should I start mes now. I'm scare of side effects.

Billy

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dear Billy It is often hard to differentiate effects of normal aging from HIV as both can impact muscle mass. Usually HIV plays a role when the CD4 count is lower than yours or when you have specific health problems. If your viral load is very high that may also be an influence and an indication to start treatment. As we age we tend to lose muscle mass in exchange for fat and the fat tends to be round our middles more. The only approach to manage this decline is exercise and diet. Doing some muscle building exercises and some cardio training is the biggest step in the right direction. I hope this helps Dr Moyle

Donation of Body for research
T cell receptor