Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

No Drugs for 7 years
Oct 21, 2008

I am 46 years old. tested positive 7 years go. Not on any drugs. Iast CD$ was 450. I have however been losing body mass. My wieght remains same 90Kg but I look half my previous size. I've also been feeling generally unwell lately. Should I start mes now. I'm scare of side effects.

Billy

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dear Billy It is often hard to differentiate effects of normal aging from HIV as both can impact muscle mass. Usually HIV plays a role when the CD4 count is lower than yours or when you have specific health problems. If your viral load is very high that may also be an influence and an indication to start treatment. As we age we tend to lose muscle mass in exchange for fat and the fat tends to be round our middles more. The only approach to manage this decline is exercise and diet. Doing some muscle building exercises and some cardio training is the biggest step in the right direction. I hope this helps Dr Moyle

Previous
Donation of Body for research
Next
T cell receptor

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.