Aging With HIVAging With HIV

HIV and bodybuilding

Hello Dr. Moyle, can an infected person with HIV still lift weight and build muscles? also, will it be ok to take supplements like creatine and Nitic oxide and GH enhancers? Thanks Chad

Response from Dr. Moyle

Hi Chad HIV does not impact your ability to work out or build muscle, unless of course you are unwell. Personally, I am not a fan of anabolic steroids, due to both side effects, mood changes and establishment of dependence. Concern has been raised about the use of GH enhancers by many physicians with regards to risk of acromegally (overgrowth of parts of the face, hands and feet), cardiomegally (enlarged heart) and cancer. This being said, there is little evidence tha L-arginine or L-ornithine, the consituents of these outrageously priced unregulated 'enhancers' actually impact GH or IGF-1 levels. The have not been studies in HIV persons. I have seen several people with HIV develop kidney dysfunction on creatine and it is well known to trigger cramps. My preferred 'supplement' is to eat an appropriate diet with adequate protein, fats and carbs as well as micronutients. Your dietitian can advise. Best Of luck building that great body Dr Moyle

49 and counting hopefully
Marijuana and HIV