Aging With HIVAging With HIV

White patches on sides of tonuge?

Hi Can you tell me what this condition could be. I'm postive and not taking medications. If I start taking medications will this condition go away. I have been postive for 14 years and only about 2-3 months now these white little patches have come about. Hopefully you know what is it. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Moyle

It sounds like oral hairy leucoplakia (OHL) a harmless change caused by epstein-barr (mononucleosis) virus. It is quite charactersitic of HIV infection. The other possibility is candida (thrush), this would be removable with a toothbrush where as OHL is 'fixed'. OHL generally does not need treatment but may be an indiaction that the time is coming for you to take treatment for HIV. If the OHL really bothers you high doses of aciclovir will make it go at least temporarily kind regards Dr Moyle

sweating
My Body When I Die