Aging With HIVAging With HIV

CD4 count Plateau with undetectable VL

Just Diagnosed a year ago.. Starting CD4 230 and VL 40,000, by a routine HIV Test. I am 29 and I have never had any symptoms at all...So my Doctor decided to put me on medication as a treatment naaive patient. I have been on this regimen now for about 9 months now. I Was started on Trizivir with the following results: (First Lab Draw 3 months after treatment) CD4 Count jumped to 455 and VL down to 60 (Second Lab Draw 6 months later) CD4 Count remains at 445 and VL is Less than 48.

My Doctor is still very satisfied and is seeing me only every 6 months... By remaining undetectable, am I bound to be stuck at this CD4 count for the rest of my life, or is it possible for my CD4 count to get above the 500 mark or go even higher. This is frustrating for me, I thought my CD4 would keep on climbing, by having an undetectable VL.

Response from Dr. Moyle

While Trizivir is not a preferred regimen it has obviously worked for you. A CD4 >450 is normal so you can't get better than normal. Available data suggest that CD4 goes on rising for at least 5-6 years post treatment initiation so you will see higher values. It also varies by 25% between tests so you will see ups and downs over time. Sounds like you are doing great with the therapy, but worthwhile talking to your doctor about whether Trizivir is the best long term choice. Best Regards Dr Moyle

hiv
Partner shocked after HIV disclosure