Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Start or Not, meds?

Dear Dr. Moly,My name es Joseph, I am 36 yol, I have been recently diagnosed with HIV (June 30th), which I haven't handled it very well yet. I took a blood test and my CD4 count are at 829 and the viral load at 166000.I am still deciding with my Dr. whether I should start on medication or not? what you recomend me to do? if I decide to begin meds, Is it Atripla the right medication for me? I am very worry about lipoatrophy and other side effects.Please help me! Thanks for the magnific work that you do helping us, God bless you!

Response from Dr. Moyle

Hi Joseph Your CD4 is currently normal so you do not need immediate treatment. You virl load tells me that you will likely need treatment in the future. You Doctor should do a resistance test to assess if you acquired any resistant virus. If your virus is susceptible, Atripla is a reasobable choice although some of the side effects are not for everyone. There are plenty of other once daily and simple options. Both Truvada and Epzicom/Kivexa 'backbone' combinations do not cause lipoatrophy so you should not be concerned about this side effect. Best of Luck with your decisions Hope this helps regards Dr Moyle

? KS
my 1year old son