Aging With HIVAging With HIV

? KS

Please help! A friend of mine has had his second lot of blood results CD4 230 VL 19,000, (initial blood results two months earlier were CD4 240 and VL 49,000). He has another appointment in a couple of months where meds are likely to be considered (only a year after infection, he is 30 years old). The thing is my friend has complained of soreness in his feet, he describes them as having little bruises on the soles. I started worrying about KS straightaway! I now keep noticing different marks on him. A dark spot came up on his temple but has since faded and he now has a pinky/purple spot on his nose along with a pinky spot on his hand that aren't going away. He complained of a sore tooth/mouth the other day, he said it was an abcess and took some antibiotics. The soreness/swelling did go away (he did not see a Dentist/GP and used antibiotics from a previous infection-I told him off about this)! However, they did work but I am worried that it may be a oral lesion. I am not sure I would notice these spots if he was not HIV! Apart from his feet (which he puts down to being on his feet all day), he has not mentioned these spots and does not seem to be concerned. Could I be wrong about the KS? Can I trust that the Dr will be monitoring for KS? I don't think my friend is even aware of KS, let alone the symptoms, so he probably won't know to tell his Dr. I don't want to keep on at him, I want him to lead a normal life, without me obsesseing over every different spot/mark that may appear! We are living in England by the way! Thanking you in advance from 'worried sick'! PS he does seem to be suffering from seborrheic dermatitis, mildly, of the face and scalp-don't know if this will make a difference. x x

Response from Dr. Moyle

Given his results he is clearly ready for treatment so is better getting started sooner than later. It is hard to diagnose KS over a forum (!) but certainly skin lesions should be shown to the doctor promptly and a decsion made about what to it is and what to do next. There is a wide possibilty of alternative diagnosis so a professional opinion is what is needed. Best regards Dr Moyle

Life expectancy
Start or Not, meds?