Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Life span of people who had symptoms

Hello Dr Moyle

I read that people who didn't develop ARS symptoms live longer.

Is this the case?

Also could you please advise if you are aware of the life expectancy of someone with subtype E? (also known as A/E - the one they have in Thailand)

I realise that most long term (15yrs plus) survivors are subtype B HIV positive people from the West.

I am referring to someone who has caught the virus in Thailand but living in UK.

Many thanks David

Response from Dr. Moyle

Hi David There is not important difference in HIV outcomes, survival, speed of progression or response to medication by viral sub-type or clade.

Its hard to predict life expectancy for any individual, doctors aren't good at play in God! Several large cohort studies have published data on HIV and life expectancy. In the Danish and ART collaboration cohorts survival with HIV has been getting closer and closer to normal even for people who became infected quite young. So I think you should continue to plan for a long and healthy life. CD4 low point (nadir) and robustness of CD4 recovery on therapy are both of interest to researchers at present in further narrowing the gap between HIV+ survival and HIV- survival. The general view being that starting treatment with a stronger immune system and recovering to normal CD4 values is probably the best plan. Hope this helps Dr Moyle

atripula side affects
Life expectancy of AIDS patients on HAART?