Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Immune System and Advanced HIV

Hi, I'm not sure you can answer this I thought it was worth a try. My husband and I have advanced HIV disease. Diagnosed in 1988. We are doing well. Our problem is that our apartment building has a flea problem. The exterminator believes the fleas are from rats that have been plaguing our building and the buildings around it. Is this dangerous for us? It's been nearly a year of a constant flea problem that the exterminator, landlord, and tenants can't seem to get under control. Moving isn't financially an option for us for now at least.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Rather a disagreeable problem but not my realm really. I have not known rats and or fleas to casues specific problems to people with HIV but there are a general health hazzard and inconveniece. You need to work closely with other residents, the landlords and the local county vermin conrol office to sort the problem out. It may be that some buildings work needs to be done. I would certainly get the local government offoce involved as they can place strong legal pressures on the landlord Best Wishes Dr Moyle

Discordant response to treatment
HIV